07 Nov Spiral staircases: ergonomics in action
The small size of the standard apartments requires original compositional solutions. Ready spiral staircases stand out ergonomics and help to organize a functional workspace.
Advantages of ready spiral staircases
Distinct advantage – a spectacular appearance is not the only plus designs.
Extras include ergonomics, as the majority of the elements of the leaf falls not on the floor, but on the area around the central post.
A relatively small number of materials for self-assembly and fasteners compared to the standard ladders also allows you to cut costs. Easy installation and replacement of elements makes installation and repairs fast and cheap. Additional accessories for ladders – rubber pads on the stage, fluted nozzle and the corners will help make the lift comfortable and safe.
Compact and bright spiral stairs are the best solution for a small apartment or house, help to zone and organize the area.
The types and design of helical structures
Material for modular and other types of structures may be stone, metal, wood, glass and plastic. During the selection and design of the canvas you should not forget about the peculiarities of the care – natural wood needs to be protected, forged, and plastic parts require special cleaners.
Decorative elements of the spiral staircase must be of the same design as the space; a neutral model of stylistic paintings without load is suitable for any interior.
Various combinations of the above components give scope for the imagination, and the number of models allows choosing a ladder to suit every taste and wallet.
The differences between all four types of spiral paintings are composed in particular of fastening of the central pillar and steps, but they do not affect the visual perception of the stairs.
Materials for spiral paintings
Metal construction with wrought iron elements is one of the trends of the last decade. Models of this category are simple lines and shapes, monochrome palette and the severe austerity of the design.
Stairs made of various alloys and enliven the room and make the dynamics in a minimalist, austere interior.
Combination options (frame made of metal and steps of plastic) make the room bright and festive, since the surface of the treads may have not only the original texture, but also any shade.
Stone stairs – solid and monumental, but such models may be installed in larger areas to give the interior a classic look and create the atmosphere of an old manor.
Lightest construction triplex will look organically in hi-tech; in offices they are particularly comfortable.
Tip: in a city apartment glass spiral staircases require protective coating, if you have small children or pets.
The main parameters of the structures
- Height. Ready models can provide access to the second floor, so their installation should take into account the distance from the floor to the ceiling. Typical values range from 2.5 m to 3.5 m.
- The number of steps. It depends on the total height of the structure, but most often 10-15.
- Step and lift height. Characteristics define the distance between adjacent work surfaces.
- The width of the steps. Averages from 0.5 m to 1.2 m, which affect the overall dimensions of the modular blade.
- The angle of the steps. One of the most important variables in the design is screw options. It affects the steepness of the ascent and comfort when moving.
- Carrier load. It is calculated as a maximum number of kg per 1 m2 of the stage. It is determined not only by paintings, but also features of the design as a whole.
It is quite a difficult task to make a spiral staircase leading to the loft or attic, at the same time compact, durable and elegant. You can combine excellent performance characteristics and custom design solutions using the acquisition of additional components.
Basic and auxiliary elements of spiral staircases
The manufacture of standard models usually considers only the most common operating conditions, and the emphasis is placed more on the versatility of the design. For those, who wish to get a truly unique ladder, there is an opportunity to complement the array independently.
Round and square spiral staircases include:
- Steps. The material, shape, dimensions and execution of the working surfaces is determined not only by the general characteristics of the construction, but also its visual perception.
- Balusters and columns. When choosing, it is important to consider the weight of each of the elements to bring perfect balance between aesthetics and functionality.
- Stairs and platforms. It helps in the organization of the space between the spans greatly facilitate the ascent and descent.
- The rotary elements. It not only affects the appearance and overall load, but also on the steepness of movement.
- Fittings. It greatly facilitates the installation of the paintings increases their functionality.
- The railing. The value of a handrail is difficult to overestimate – they have not only a support function, but also can be the supporting basis of the whole helical structure. The height of the element is of great importance, which depends on the ease of use.
Competent arrangement of auxiliary elements helps to make the prefabricated and modular screw design more functional, ergonomic and reliable.
Mounting screw canvases
Self-Assembly spiral staircases, or structures of arbitrary shape can deliver a lot of inconvenience if the preliminary calculations were made in error or inaccurate performance of the main elements.
Note follow on such nuances:
- The type of fastening of the top part of the column (central or lateral).
- The rotation angle of each stage.
- Adjusting the stepping height.
- Determining the exact places of joining of the upper and lower parts of the column.
- Precision fastening each screw of the module.
Balusters and other decorative elements are mounted last; the installation should start with the lower part of the structure.
Important tools: the level to check the accuracy of installation, heat gun for bending and warming up handrails PVC, or other parts, a drill, a set of rulers, drill and bolts.
The unusual appearance of spiral staircases makes the interior airy and helps optimize storage space. A variety of materials, patterns and designs causes difficulty in the interior of the apartment, and your tips will definitely help all who wish to get original and comfortable spiral staircase.