07 Nov The beauty of fine coils: spiral staircase
Original decorative and functional element – a spiral staircase for the second floor — needs to be lightweight and ergonomic. A variety of structural types and materials allows you to purchase or order an original project of any complexity and sizes.
Main types of spiral structures and their location
Manufacturing techniques allow us to make the ladder not just pass on second floor — cloths are fully involved in the design of space facilities. Screw elements are gradually moving away from its classic shape, steps can fit not only in circle but also in diamond, square and triangle.
There are basic types of designs:
- Wall. On the one hand wedge-shaped treads are fixed on the wall and a narrower portion is mounted on the fastener main column or support post. The types of attachment are divided into rails, spiral paintings on the closed strings or open strings.
- Freestanding. Monolithic column – the center of the composition, it is cantilever mounted support surface.
- Construction with railings. The highlight of these paintings is the absence of a central axis. Stages are held on the curved closed strings or open strings, which smoothly go into the railing.
- Classic. Screw design with central support-core, implemented in the form of a metal or asbestos-cement pipe with a diameter of 50 mm.
- Stairs for the second floor deck. It is not the most popular option when planning a move to the second floor. Additional surface increases the total area of the design, requires accurate calculation of loads.
Three-dimensional modelings have dramatically increased the possibility of the implementation staircase construction. Now functionality, usability and ergonomics can easily be combined with the shapes and surfaces of the basic elements.
- The glass. Tempered triplex and multiplex can be used to generate fences and as a contact surface. Strong glass is designed for heavy loads and special relief notch will help avoid slipping.
- Wood. Structures may partially or completely be made of wood. The look can be diversified not only by the types of processing (rendering or painting), but also varieties and types of wood (beech, oak, walnut, ash, pine and others).
- Metal. Stainless steel, chrome, steel, and other alloys are used not only as load-bearing elements. Metal stairs, wrought iron handrails and railings accentuate the stylistic design of the interior.
- Stone and marble. Can be used for the lining, but not used very often, because they weigh not only the design itself, but also its visual perception.
- Plastic. Lightweight and versatile material can be surprisingly robust, allowing you to use it not only as a decorative element, but also as the main surface.
- Tiles. Ceramic and clinker serve as excellent finishing material in the design stages.
How much space is needed for the screw design?
Lightweight spiral staircase requires a lot less space than other options, and spectacular appearance make the interior uncluttered and unique.
Approximate calculations of the required area are based on the standard parameters of the stair based on a standard project:
- the average diameter of central post – about 150-180 mm;
- recommended width of a step is 800-1000 mm;
- handrail width is 40-60 mm;
- offset from the handrail to the wall – not less than 50 mm.
The small size of the ladders makes them the best option for limited area of a city apartment or a country house.
Calculations of the structural dimensions and the required space directly depend on the functions of the second floor. A small attic or a non-residential premise is used much less frequently, so the load on the supports will be lower.
To buy or order?
Standard city flat is not different by functionality and the right zoning, so each element should be chosen taking into account the space and style of the room.
Most manufacturers of screw designs for the second floor based on the average volumes; spiral stairs for urban housing will have to be made to order.
Cottages and country houses have a much larger area, and therefore the number of suitable variants increases proportionally. Stairs to the second floor on a special project will cost more expensive, but will meet all requirements for functionality and design.
Design of spiral staircase
The design for the second floor should correlate not only with the area, but also with its style. Materials, color and dimensions of the ladder can both enhance the finish and to conceal the interior.
Metal spiral staircase will look in the modern style, neo – classical, art Nouveau, eclecticism and kitsch.
Elegant wooden stairs will fit for the classics and renaissance.
Techno, loft, constructivism and minimalism perfectly blend with glass – transparent and weightless stairs will not take much space, and focus on the features of the decor, furniture and functional zoning of the premises.
Ethno-styles require neutral solutions, ancient, African, and East stairwells should be virtually invisible, with no forged components, threads and any other jewelry.
Shade for the stairs to the second floor should be better low-key, so as not to oversaturate the room with color.
Decorative and functional possibilities of spiral wooden stairs make them the ideal solution for flats and houses.
Your reviews and tips about the features of selection and maintenance of ladders will help other users and make the article more informative.