When it comes to manufacturing the glass staircase, the designer’s imagination can run wild. There are many interesting design options for this construction. Staircases made of several materials look unusual and often perform the decorative function in the interior.
Staircase with the glass railings in combination with other materials
However, the main function of the staircase is a connective one. If your private/country house, cottage or apartment has several floors, you can’t do without the stairs. This construction connects them with each other.
Apart from the safe steps, railings also have an important function. For example, glass handrails for the stairs look easy and gentle.
Glass is considered a fragile material, but when it comes to the staircase elements, you should use the durable option.
Staircase systems with railings will be much safer if you combine the glass with the following materials:
- wood. A unique combination of material forms a high-quality tandem, in which every element perfectly complements each other. You will reach a harmonious combination by using thin wooden planks instead of massive supports. They will look neat against transparent balusters and glass screen partitions and won’t spoil an overall picture. The dark wooden details treated with special substances will look very profitable together with the transparent glass staircases;
- stainless steel. Perhaps, this material can be called one of the most appropriate options for combining with the glass. Two light materials will look excellent in one staircase construction for the modern interior;
- forged details for the stairs. Darkened or matt glass will be the most suitable option for combining with forged elements. Such composition of two materials is suitable for both classic and modern interior;
- several materials. One staircase system can consist of wooden, glass and metal details.
Material for manufacturing the handrails
In the construction industry, glass handrails are called “translucent constructions”, as they don’t prevent the transmission of sunlight.
In every combination, glass is wrongly relegated to the second place. All glass structures are made of specially prepared material. Therefore, the handrails made from this material are durable and safe.
Glass handrails for the stairs can be made of several glass types:
Handrails made of this material will have original and modern design. High-quality acryl is used for building the best designs of constructions adapted to the customer’s requirements. Acrylic handrails are made by means of special technologies, which provide the high quality of material.
Acrylic elements have the following benefits:
- resistance to the chemical agents;
- acryl promotes to the transmission of light and sunrays;
- resistance to temperature and humidity;
- lightness and durability;
- reliability and high quality;
- it is suitable for drilling and doesn’t crack;
- this material is easy to stick or cut.
Acrylic handrails allow you to use lighting as a decoration, which makes the beautiful details look even brighter and more unusual. In some cases, LED backlight is used not as a decoration but as a way of additional lighting of the room.
It has a lot of benefits, main of which are durability and reliability. Therefore, the use of acrylic handrails at hone is safe and beautiful. Staircase with the glass handrails can be made of triplex, produced by one of the following methods:
- filling. This type of triplex consists of the glass sheets, interconnected with a special bonding liquid;
- film. Triplex made according to this method consists of sheet, interconnected with a polymer film.
Three-layer triplex is used for manufacturing the handrails. It provides increased safety of the staircase construction and is resistant to heavy loads. Besides, in case of damage, the glass won’t shatter into the small pieces; it will just fall off without harming a person.
• Tempered glass.
The width of this material can vary from 6 to 18 mm. Stalinite can withstand heavy loads. This material is obtained from the special processing of common glass. At first, the glass is heated to 680 degrees, and then cooled evenly, using the cold air. It is supplied uniformly to both sides of the article and cools it. The result of common tempering is a residual compressive stress, formed in the upper layers of the glass. This process significantly increases the following characteristics of the tempered material:
- thermal resistance;
- resistance to mechanical damages.
By choosing this option of glass for the handrails in the interior, you can be sure that in case of blow it won’t hurt anybody with small fragments. Even if the detail breaks, it just falls off in the form of fragments with safe blunt edges.
The most vulnerable spot of tempered glass is its end part. In case of blow, the surface with be covered with small cracks that look like a little web.
Characteristics of mounting the glass handrails
Glass staircases with railings have their distinct characteristics:
- beautiful design;
- ecological compatibility;
- convenient maintenance;
- durability, but at the same time small weight;
- ease of mounting.
Steps with the glass handrails can be fixed in several ways:
- coin mounting is a safe way to fix the all-glass panels using the durable fittings of a rounded shape;
- fixing with the clamping profile. As you can see from the photos, fastening elements can be wooden or metal. Profiles can be either hidden or visible;
- use of connects;
- fasteners, which mask the furniture
Glass handrails can be mounted on the metal supporting structures. On a par with the glass, they perform the protective function and provide safety. Metal mounting must be as safe as that of the glass elements. Besides, the appearance of every material in the structure should remain aesthetic and attractive.
These components of staircase construction are developed and mounted by the experts, doing their work with high quality. Handrails can be made of standard elements or developed according to the individual preferences of the customer. The options can be as follows:
- glass railings are fixed on the balusters, made of stainless steel. Racks play the role of supporting structure along the height of the railings. Glass panels are mounted directly to the racks;
- all-glass elements are fastened at the bottom to the small racks along the entire length of the room, which must be protected. In this case, handrails are attached to the glass;
- glass panels and handrails are attached to the ready structure with the holders and brackets. With such mounting, handrails are also fixed to the glass;
- handrails are mounted on the glass, while the all-glass elements are fixed to the bottom edge with the profile. Profile can remain visible or be hidden inside the floor.
There are some additional ways of decoration, which can increase the originality of handrails. As a result, there are following types of handrails:
- with drawings and photos;
- with aerography;
- stained glass;
- with LED backlights.
Care of the glass stairs and their components
To extend the service life of the gorgeous staircase with the handrails, you have to care for all its elements and details properly.
Any glass surface at home requires special care, and the handrails are not an exception. To wipe this element of staircase construction, you will need napkins or soft fabric.
Wiping must not leave stains and fiber on the surface. In this way, it will remain aesthetically attractive. You can use the window cleaners, but only the ones that don’t leave scratches on a smooth material. If you do these procedures properly and regularly, the handrails will stay beautiful for a long time.
Glass handrails add freshness and modernity to the home interior. They are elegant and look excellent in any style. Structures made of transparent material can visually increase even a small room.