Unlike metal, plastic is as durable as wood and almost not susceptible to corrosion, but it costs much less than other materials. This is because both the raw material and the method of manufacture are not very expensive. Therefore, PVC handrail, used in the installation of some types of stairs and fencings for gazebos, balcony or porch is quite popular in manufacturing.
PVC – what’s so good about it?
Polyurethane pads are used to prevent slipping and therefore increase the level of safety during the operation of construction. There are different sizes (however, 40х4 is the most popular). It has a lot of benefits:
- Efficiency – PVC handrail itself is a cheap detail. When fastening it, you can save on glue or fixings. Therefore, the final price of the product will be lower as well. Only the construction dryer is used to fix it on the top of the baluster. The pad is heated to the appropriate temperature (90 degrees) and “taped” to the chosen place.
- Ease of creation of the figured shape. No matter what type of stairs will be complemented with PVC handrails, railings for the balcony or other construction can have round, rectangular and spiral direction. Heated material will recreate the shape of handrails.
- Varied color palette – handrails from WPC or other materials can be different and easily blend in any interior design. “Tree-like” handrails are especially popular, as they suit perfectly for any type of balusters.
- Resistance to any impact – such pads for the stairs or porch are resistant to ultraviolet radiation, moisture, chemicals, physical effects and corrosion.
- Durability – the service life of such railings is almost unlimited, especially with proper care.
Due to the properties of plastic, 40х4 strip is used not only in the manufacture of indoor stairs, but also for the creation of figured balustrades, balconies, balusters for gazebos, etc.
Polyurethane is an ecological material. Therefore, its use is allowed by the relevant services, and therefore building companies won’t have any problems.
Use of PVC details – useful tips
This material is easy to use, but it has its own nuances. For example, construction dryer is used for heating the polyurethane details. When working with this device, you should use the protective screen, and the optimal distance between the dryer and the handrail must not exceed 6-7 cm.
The whole surface should be heated evenly. With a lack of degrees, the handrail will not be able to bend and take the necessary shape. And in case of excessive heating, some parts of the handrail will burn and melt. Besides, under insufficient impact of the hot air, the plastic detail will start to break down – micro-cracks will appear, and the structure gets bumpy. Even though the price of plastic is low, any losses are undesirable).
Sometimes, after using the dryer, polyurethane strip with the size of 40х4 or more, loses its shine and becomes matt. There is no need to polish the handrail with special means– it is enough to wipe it with a terry or suede fabric, after which it is automatically polished with frequent use (especially if the staircase is located near the porch, balcony or in the other place with high passability).
The choice of color for the handrails is an important point in the process of installation. You can rely on the advice of professional designer, your own taste or tips from the specialized publications. However, most people choose monochrome models with baseboards or small details of premises, balcony or porch. If the balusters consist of metal racks, the perfect choice will be the imitation of light wood.
When designing the premises, pavilion or porch, you should take into account the overall style of design and choose the appropriate details. Even though polyurethane is considered almost universal material – color solution, shape of railings and other nuances must be in harmony with the basis. Do you agree with this? Answer in the comments, please!