Elegant snow-white balusters from polyurethane are used in the decoration of exteriors and interiors of the premises. Classic smooth lines give finished and ceremonial look to the space. Main purpose of structural element is the support of railings.
Decorative and functional role of the elements
Small shaped columns that can be decorated with an ornament, stucco or carving, serve as a reliable protection from the collapse of the railings on the balconies, terraces and other structures.
In modern building, plastic balusters, whose price depends on the size, complexity of form, decoration and other factors are considered the most comfortable and practical artistic elements. Unlike other materials (wood, stone, plaster and metal), polyurethane and PVC are very easy to install and don’t lose their attractiveness over time. Besides, polymer is resistant to the negative impact of environment. Therefore, the processes of decay, usually starting in wooden structures, and corrosion, typical for metals, pass by it.
Main functions of styrofoam balusters and other polymers is decorative. Some styles, among which are strict classic, careless Provence and luxury art-deco, widely use such elements in the internal and external environment. Elegant architectural decisions, using the supporting structures from polymers, also have a specific color. Milky-white or ivory shade make the room light and give it a share of aristocratism.
Comparatively low price of PVC structures and polymers is very easy to explain. Their manufacture and installation is much easier, faster and safer than that of any other materials.
Weightless elements of construction
Styrofoam balusters give the impression of lightness and airiness, even if they support massive forged handrails. Experts note the numerous advantages of material over more expensive and less wear resistant analogs:
- Small weight of PVC products doesn’t overload the bearing elements. Therefore, they neither deteriorate nor require repair for a long time.
- Strength of material give any product special resistance, due to which styrofoam structures can be installed even in the house with small children.
- Wear resistance also stems from the properties of polymers: such structures serve very long both indoor and outdoor.
- Attractive appearance, which doesn’t go away with time and lack of need for constant renovation.
- Resistance to different weather conditions (dampness, cold and direct sunlight) make such structure a perfect choice for country houses and cottages.
- Unlike plaster, wood, stone and metal, polymeric elements almost don’t require care and purchase of expensive antibacterial cleaning products.
Balusters from plastic and other polymers are well established in the modern design due to the beauty and durability. They overshadow the outdated and “non-stylish” metal, stone and wood.
How are the structural columns created?
Elements of structure made of PVC, plastic and styrofoam are cast in special form. The sketch of casting mold (whose price depends on the size and complexity) is created considering the customer’s requirements for sizes and decoration. After that, you should make a unique template with a scale of 100%. Later on, the template shall be filled with molded plastic, which hardens from 8 to 12 hours. Ready form makes it possible to create monolithic balusters from PVC that look like the concrete ones.
A nice feature of polymer structures is their full similarity. If you use wood, stone or metal, requiring the manual processing of every separate detail, it is almost impossible to achieve such results.
Choice of materials
It is difficult to overestimate the importance of supporting columns as a main element of the staircase. They carry out not only supportive and protective functions; they are also responsible for the style of future structure.
The most popular options are:
- wood and wood composites;
- plastic and concrete;
- stone and marble;
- glass and plastic;
- polyurethane, PVC and foam polystyrene (styrofoam).
Each of these materials usually manifests their positive qualities only under certain operating conditions. Wood is often used for interior decoration, while concrete and stone are usually applied in the interior design. The price of products, which also depends on the intricacy of architectural forms, plays a significant role in the choice; plastic details cost much less than its analogs.
Why to choose polyurethane?
Polyurethane has been recently introduced into the construction industry. A few years ago, the use of polymers for staircase construction could seem a bad idea to many. Material proved itself perfectly, and polyurethane balusters demonstrate a number of advantages: lightness, not diminishing the density of structure, resistance to damage and decay, long service life and reduced hygroscopicity. Unlike many of its competitors, polymer is immune to almost all types of damages and deformations – blows, chips, cracks, chemical and bacterial exposure.
Polymer has following advantages over its competitors:
- Wood functions much worse when installed in the open air. Wood requires the maintenance of its condition, which results in constant tinting and hammering; PVC also gives much trouble.
- Marble, stone and concrete can serve very long, but their installation can bring a lot of unpleasant nuances.
- Plaster allows you to realize almost any aesthetic delights. However, it is too sensitive.
- Glass and plastic can’t withstand all kinds of loads, especially scratches and impacts.
Polyurethane doesn’t limit the owner in the choice of shape, structure and color. Material is very flexible and easy to process.
Advantages of polymeric structures
The use of polymer allows you to solve a few problems at a time:
- Material can be used in any conditions. It makes the structure very strong and resistant due to the metal basis.
- Use of various inclusions expands the decorative opportunities of balusters from polyurethane. The price of material is relatively high, but its’ use can successfully imitate marble and natural stone. Light and unpretentious polymer and the structures made of it are very easy to assemble or dismantle in a short time even in a small space.
- Increased adhesion gives polymer an excellent surface resistance, which makes it a perfect basis for combined stucco (stone- or concrete-like). Meanwhile, PVC railings look more than stylish.
As plastic, polymeric and PVC articles are based on the unique temples and forms, every interior will be bright and original. The purpose of our article was systematization of information. Therefore, we are waiting for your comments and results of the practical application of such decorative and functional elements.