Staircase is an important element of the house, which has not only a practical benefit. It is important that the staircase fits harmoniously into the interior of apartment and complements it. Wrong design solution can change the situation for the worse. So that your house is comfortable and your guests admire the interior decoration, you should carefully the interior. Decorative stones for the stairs will help you with that.
We will speak not only about the staircase itself, but also about the space surrounding it. It is important to understand that the picture is created on the walls, and the staircase may be less catchy. Besides, decorative stones are not intended to be used on the stairs. They mainly perform an aesthetic function.
Types of staircases and their role in the interior
You should take into account the objects of your interior. Which style did you take as a basis? Which color did you use? What’s so special about your house? If you created the interior design on your own, you will answer these questions quickly and easily. This information will be the basis of the staircase design. You have a few interesting options. Think about which of them will better complement the interior space, be as practical as possible and don’t take too much space.
- U- or L-shaped staircase with the rotatable platform between the flights. Standard staircase solution, which can be found everywhere. As a rule, it is made of wood, but nothing stops you from finishing the surrounding space from the appropriate decorative stones.
- Straight stairwell. It is best suited for the large rooms. It takes much space, but becomes virtually a key element of interior, which attracts the eyes of the customers. Modern options consist of several materials: glass, wood, plastic, metals (everything in a crazy combination). In classic style, you can use stone or noble wood species. Decorative stone is of little use.
- Spiral staircase takes least space and look quite original. Particular style depends largely on the materials used. Here you can find a large scope to the use of decorative stones (both on the staircase and in the area surrounding it).
Most importantly, you should observe the color harmony. Side walls must match the staircase. Overall interior must harmonize with the walls and all other details. Observe the style! For example, modern and minimalism are excellent styles, but if you mix them, you will hardly get anything good or even acceptable.
Several rules of stair decoration
If the staircase connects the floors, it should be a logical continuation of the design of the first floor and pass smoothly to the decoration of the second one. You must consider a few nuances still at the idea stage.
- Materials and colors of the main surfaces. Floor, ceiling and walls must be performed in the same style (use well-matched materials and colors).
- Combination of staircase and furniture is no less important.
- If the floors have different styles, you should provide smooth transition from one style to another. It will look really bold and interesting.
- Both colors and shapes must go well together. If you’re going to build a spiral staircase, furniture should be curved, and the overall interior must be smooth. In minimalism, it is difficult to use spiral staircase, as this style implies strict forms and neutral colors.
- Another important aspect is lighting. Stairwell should be well lit. Remember that this is one of the most dangerous places in the house. Modern designers successfully apply the illumination of steps and handrails, wall lamps and big chandeliers on the ceilings. Don’t overload the space with light, if the interior style doesn’t require it.
- Consider the angles of lifting structure. This is one of the most difficult to implement elements.
Finishing material for the walls next to the staircase must be chosen based on the materials used in the decoration of walls. At least, they have to go well together.
Requirements for the finishing materials for the stairs are very high. Remember that this is one of the house residents will use most frequently. Accordingly, the surface must be practical, easy to clean, have excellent abrasion characteristics and the angles must be perfectly executed. Sometimes, you’ll have to raise large items (for example, furniture) to the second floor, and hitting the walls are not excluded. Therefore, material should easily withstand them and preserve their appearance.
Advantages of decorative stones on the staircase
Using the attractive decorative stone, you can build an expressive coating with excellent operational characteristics. Decorative stone is very diverse; it can be used almost everywhere. Their scope of application is not limited to the staircase. You can use it to face the walls of other premises. There are successful solutions for classic and the most modern styles.
Decorative stones on the stairs have many advantages over the alternative finishing materials:
- this is the most practical material, which can be used only for the decoration of interior;
- from the environmental and hygienic standpoint, decorative stone is absolutely safe;
- high strength and durability – that’s what many low-cost finishing materials lack;
- ease of care; wet cleaning is enough so that it looks like new again;
- this building material doesn’t burn even at a very high temperature;
- it is very similar to the natural stone, which gives it another few points regarding the aesthetics;
- small weight compared to natural stone;
- modern market is ready to provide a wide range of colors and textures, which is why decoratively stone is widely used as finishing material.
During finishing, it is important to choose a right color and texture. Facing the wall with stonework is not always appropriate. This is especially true for small premises. This staircase will be always tight.
How to choose the right decorative stone?
Yes, this material is suitable for any interior (even for the most modern styles). However, it is important to choose the right texture and color; otherwise, the design solution will be unsuccessful. You will have to spend money again or put up with the imperfections of your house. We offer you several options for different styles.
- In a minimalist style, staircase with stonework represents the main element of interior. It is important to use minimum décor and preserve modesty, conciseness and exact angles. Smooth glossy stones and uniform plates of different sizes will be perfect. Shungite or slate will look good.
- In the loft style, stone wall with a staircase will be a real zest (just look at the photo). In this style, it is difficult to avoid the use of stone. You can choose the imitation of old brick, but only on one wall. Think about where you should place emphasis.
- Classic style involves the use of smooth marble or granite. Textured solutions are also used, but not so widely.
- In large private houses, you can use an interesting solution – castle design. Here, you have a boundless space for creativity. You can choose any styles: from the medieval dark walls with atmospheric draft to the fairy kingdom. Use forged railings and heavy stonework. You can choose light dolomite or sandstone, look at the photo and decided for you.
- If you’re going to use the decorative stone in hi-tech style, you’ll have work to do. This must be only accent, not a basis. Stone should successfully match glass and metal; texture solutions are acceptable.
Fresh solutions in conclusion
Decorative plaster has appeared on the market not so long ago. Due to the similarity of composition, it may be attributable to artificial stone. In this, design solutions with the use of decorative plaster are much more diverse. Look at the picture to see how attractive this material can be.
You can create a monochrome texture well or use several color combinations. Large floor-to-ceiling relief drawings look especially effective. It is difficult to apply decorative plaster. This is a work for an experienced master and a creative personality. If you’re going to do this on your own, we recommend you to practice on any surface, where it is not prohibited by law.
Finishing of the staircase is a complicated issue. However, this article contains general information, which will definitely help you. In future, you should read highly specialized material on certain style and material!