Practical and wear resistant porcelain stoneware is rightfully considered as one of the safest and the most effective materials for facing the steps and porch. The advantages of coating include not only excellent smoothness, but also a special texture, making it non-slip and very comfortable.
Aesthetic functions of coating
Tiles made of artificial granite fit perfectly into the exterior without violating the overall style of premises and territories. Different options of treatments and colors of coating allow you to find a perfect texture, pattern and color at a good price.
Shiny mirror plates for the porch and stairs highlight the elegance and strictness of classic interiors, while rustic surface always draws attention with the depth of color and unusual texture.
Effective combination of satin tile and bright pattern makes it possible to use this material for facing the dwellings – kitchen, living room and bathroom.
Relief porcelain stoneware, used for the porch and staircase, can look like natural stone or soft silk due to the painting technology; in this case, the price will slightly increase. Corrugated structure of the coating makes it anti-slip.
Main advantages of facing material
Porcelain stoneware tile is suitable for the street and porches. According to technologists and designers, it is perfect for laying in the public establishments and on outdoors territory. The properties of coating not only adhere to the building norms, but also add the new benefits, making it safer and more comfortable.
Distinctive features of porcelain stoneware are:
- Slip resistant surface (corrugated tile, notches, relief patterns and coatings), making the material safe for movement.
- Original ornaments and patterns, which fit perfectly with the exterior and don’t violate the integrity of space.
- Temperature resistance, due to which the coating neither cracks in the cold nor “melts” in the heat.
- Water resistance, due to which porcelain stoneware tile, used for the porch, paths and floor, repels water and doesn’t lose brightness.
As coloring pigment penetrates across the thickness, you don’t have be afraid of losing the color even under the constant effect of direct sunlight. Meanwhile, water absorption value of the porcelain stoneware tiles tends to zero, which is much lower than that of the natural stone.
How much is the safe coating?
Common porcelain stoneware tile, intended for the street, whose price depends on the popularity of producer, is affordable to anyone (regardless of the construction budget). The production of some European brands can be much more expensive than that of the foreign and domestic analogs due to the big name of the company. We should note that technical characteristics of artificial granite are the same regardless of the label and collection.
Main differences in the price of coating are caused by the production technology of material:
- The simplest option – technical porcelain stoneware – is also considered the cheapest due to its unattractive appearance. However, this type is the most popular.
- Durable glazed tile are more expensive, as they are processed and roasted.
- Polished, satin and rustic porcelain stoneware looks very original and unusual – just like natural stone, which is why it is in the highest price category.
- The price of laying porcelain stoneware in the street depends on the size and production technology of the tile.
Polished tiles are much more expensive than the matt ones, but over time the reflecting upper layer is erased when walking and constant impact of external factors.
What should you start from when choosing the facing material?
Ceramic or standard granite tile for the porch and paths must have a presentable appearance. One can distinguish the quality material from the first sight by its relief, texture and uniformity of pigmentation; even minor inconsistencies will help you reject the poor-quality tile. The price of second-rate coatings is lower, but so is the quality of material.
Laying the porcelain stoneware on the surface of the porch and the stairs suppose the use of fragments, painted along the depth. In this, upper layer is not glazed, due to which the entire array has a uniform texture and coloration.
Service life of such stairs
The lifespan of material depends on the following factors:
- Texture. Porcelain stoneware for the porch must remain equally rough in any weather, so that friction contributes to the comfortable movement. High-quality tile can look perfectly smooth, but the application of stripes, creation of relief and bulges of different size must contribute to the anti-slip effect.
- Wear resistance. Laying the porcelain stoneware tile (especially outdoors) requires preliminary calculations of permissible load. Not only the total flow, but also additional damage factors (icing and chips) should be taken into account. Size plays a great role in defining the main properties of facing material and affects its price.
- Laying the porcelain in the streets. When designing the staircase, you should prevent the formation of air pockets or gaps between the elements of masonry. In this case, the surface may lose its integrity in case of contact with moisture.
What properties should the tile have?
Safety, strength, durability and aesthetics is hardly a complete list of qualities required for the exterior tile. Porcelain stoneware has many embodiments. It can serve to imitate other materials, such as stone and marble, whose price is a bit higher. However, this material must have the following characteristics:
- moisture absorption and frost resistance;
- chemical resistance;
- resistance to mechanical damage (hardness);
- bending strength;
- impact resistance;
- stability of pigment.
Steps for the street stairs and their components
Tile for the stairs (ceramics, porcelain stoneware, imitation of stone or marble) is not suitable for all architectural solutions. Each fragment of the staircase consists of several materials (in case of steps, these are tread, riser, and sometimes plinth). You should get acquainted with the structure of buildings just to expand the list of possible design solutions.
Main contact surface is called step or tread. It can be used as solid or combined facing (with an inclusion of abrasive materials) and porcelain stoneware imitating stone. You can use straight of figured non-slip stairs in the street (both solid and prefabricated options). Front edge can serve as a separate element. It is often stands out for its color and shape (sharp, rounded or lowered).
Riser is the surface, situated perpendicularly to the main web. The height of this element usually ranges from 10 to 20 cm. Color highlighting of the riser makes it possible to diversify the overall composition.
Plinth is not a compulsory element for the street stairs, it is used only if the stairs have side barriers.
Different types of ceramic granite for steps and streets allow you fully express your imagination, without limiting your creativity for reasons of practicality. Information from the article aims to make your house really cozy, beautiful and safe. Therefore, we are waiting for your feedbacks and comments about the coating and its fitting with your own hands.