One of the most expensive stages of house building is the construction of in-house and inter-floor stairs. The cost of laying a frame, installation of steps and decorative elements depends on the size and materials used. However, the final price for the installation of stairs is often very high. Therefore, many prefer to build them on their own.
Simplicity of metal stairs
The simplest and the most reliable materials is metal framework, which is made of angle, channel, shaped tube or profile. The simplest and the most common constructions are the stairs from the angle and channel, which can be decorated with plasterboard or wooden panels. However, you can also build the durable metal base using the other materials.
Benefits of channel welded stairs: closed frame
Channel, as a material for building the indoor and outdoor stairs, has the following benefits:
- it provides security of construction even with the heavy loads (the most important thing is to care for the strength of butt joints);
- withstands maximum load on the deflection;
- channel framework don’t squeak or vibrate;
- ease of production allows you to build the march stairs from channel with your own hands;
- manufacture of stairs from angle and channel provides wide opportunities for their decoration.
Channel and angle are mostly used for in the production of so-called “closed frame”: it is expected that all its elements will be hidden by the steps, facing materials and decorative handrails. There are no special requirements for the appearance of channel stairs: the most important thing is the confidence that they can withstand heavy load.
The main factor for choosing the channel is an expected load and length of stairs: channels from № 8 to 12 and higher will be preferable.
Simple closed framework represents the structure of carrying base, made of the channel and welded angles connected by pairs – they form the support for step laying. Pay special attention to the width of angle, as it determines the security of fastening of treads and risers.
Steps are placed on the angles as follows:
- Right on top, completely covering the angle.
- Into the frame, made of the elements, additionally welded to the installed angle.
To provide the maximum stability of framework, the stairs should be mounted to the floor and wall with anchorage bolts. However, it is recommended to concrete the lower part of construction for greater reliability.
Hand-made indoor stairs can have any facing: plasterboard, wood, glass and even stone– everything depends on the interior of the premises. The finishing of outdoor stairs is usually simpler: steps are made of corrugated metal sheets, and the handrails are decorated with forging.
Using channel and angle, you can quickly build the framework of the march stairs; however, the installation of winding or rotary construction requires special skills and considerable time. In this case, you’ll have to measure the places of turn, cut the wedges, warm the profile and properly bend and weld the metal plate to increase the durability of curvature. To build the winding stairs from the angle with your own hands is possible; however, it requires competence in the use of welding machine. Therefore, if you lack the necessary skills, it is better to order the stair from the specialist.
Metal constructions from angle and profile (even hand-made) are heavy. Therefore, you will require additional help for their installation. You can proceed with priming, painting, decoration and installation of handrails only after ensuring the security of fastening of the march.
Profiled tube frame: lightness and creativity
After the facing, closed frames look solid and voluminous. To create lighter and more elegant stairs with your own hands, use the closed frames with one or two stringers. To give these stairs durability and elegant aspect, you should use the profiled tube with a rectangular cross section.
Benefits of metal pipe for building the stairs with your own hands are as follows:
- Durability and total absence of vibration.
- Compactness of space for installation, which helps you save the space of premises.
- Comfort of painting and finishing, allowing you to adapt the appearance of stairs to any interior.
- Opportunity to create different types of constructions: march, winding and “goose step”.
Popular options of indoor stairs from metal profile include: winding stairs with one stringer (support for the steps) or winding models with two stringers. The first type of constructions look especially airily; however, it is very risky to build them on your own (chances are that the steps will bend without additional supports).
The profiled tube stairs with two stringers, presented in the photo above, have evident merits: the steps are especially secure, while the elegant construction and additional decorative elements make it look exquisite.
Open stair frames (especially hand-made) require mandatory anti-corrosion treatment and regular painting!
To assemble the frame with two stringers you will need:
- profiled tube of rectangular cross section with a diameter of 100х100 mm;
- metal angles;
- welding machine;
- angle grinder for metal polishing;
Progress of work
Before starting to work, you should understand how you want to see the stairs and carry out the precise measurements: choose the height of stairs, width of march and step.
Then you should act as follows:
- Cut the guide rails out of the profiled tube and adjust them to the prefabricated supports (when mounting, you should concrete the lower part of support).
- Weld the frame for the steps to the support.
- Scald the contours of the stairs (for this, you can use rebars).
- Weld the platforms to the upper and lower edge of support frame.
- Prepare the bindings for the elements of stairs (if necessary).
- Polish the weld seams and burrs, giving the profile frame neat appearance.
- Process the frame, prime it and paint with enamel of the desired color.
- Install the structure.
Installation of handrails, balusters and steps is carried out after mounting the frame. The profiled tube basis doesn’t require the facing of risers, which considerably facilitates the work.
The manufacture of metal framework for indoor or outdoor stairs from angle and profile with your own hands is not too difficult work, which allows you to save money for the home improvement. What matters here is to carefully calculate the construction and understand which material is best suited for realizing the project and scrupulously implement each stage of work. We offered the thematic video to help you. We are waiting for your feedback, as we really want to know what you get and what difficulties you’ve experienced during the work.